The core team bring in a blend of long term experience of working in Africa and working in infrastructure and port projects. Knowing how to “get things done” locally is a key element in the successful execution of projects in these emerging markets.
The individuals below are the key commercial team. For particular projects, self employed experts are brought into the team as and when their particular expertise is required.
A civil engineer with an MBA from INSEAD in France, with nearly 40 years experience of infrastructure and power generation projects, he worked for Babcock International in the UK and Bechtel Group in the USA. More recently he has been involved in port projects in Russia and Nigeria where he took the lead role in the project management and fundraising assignments.
Throughout his career, he has been involved in fund raising, having been a member of teams that raised part of the funding for the Channel Tunnel, the Assiut Oil Refinery in Egypt and other major power generation projects worldwide, as well as raising money on the London Stock Exchange while CEO of two PLCs in the UK.
Education: BSc (Civ Eng) Hons – Surrey University, UK
MBA INSEAD – France
Dr Ayo Ighodaro
An academically distinguished, highly experienced senior manager and advisor with exposure to international business in a wide variety of sectors at the very highest levels.
- Established Bishopstone Associates in London and Lagos.
- Advised a West African industrial holding company embarking on new projects in power generation, FMCG and property development. Advised bidders for two hotel privatisations and a pulp/paper mill in Nigeria.
- Acted as Director, Investment Promotion for the Commonwealth Business Council, London.
- Correspondent in Nigeria for the D Group, a business development network with membership of chief executives from over 100 large companies in Europe, Southeast Asia, South Africa and the Caribbean.
- COO and Corporate Development Director for Nigerian holding company. Managed project and co-ordinated international financing for 5-star hotel. Co-ordinated start-up of a passenger/cargo airline enjoying strong competitive advantage to operate nationally and regionally.
- Managing Director, Chief Operating Officer of Nigerian healthcare management, consultancy and supply firm. Main responsibility was to accomplish the turnaround of a company burdened with large short-term debt. Working with the CEO re-focused company’s strategy, rationalised staffing and operations, reached accommodation with creditors.
- Strategic Planning Consultant, New Business Development, Scott Paper Company, Philadelphia, USA. Co-creator of corporate entrepreneurship programme. Led business team in assessing industry structure and competitors’ strategies. Established on-going competitive intelligence procedures to improve decision making.
Cornell University, NY, USA Ph.D Management Science
Cornell University, NY, USA M.S. Management Science
University of Ibadan, Nigeria
A highly experienced senior manager with long experience of Africa:
- Set up K2 Africa (now Africa Asset Management) in 2001. Built relationships with clients, capital partners and professional services firms in both the UK and Africa.
- Successfully negotiated and co-ordinated acquisition and turnaround of Orbit Chemical Industries Ltd.
- As Managing Director of a subsidiary of the Ocean Group plc in Angola turned the company from loss to profit in six months. Restructured senior management.
- Successfully sold loss-making parts of the group. Prepared the remainder of the group for sale to an Angolan consortium.
- Established first Rothmans Group operation in Eritrea since 1973. Successfully built the company from inception into an important part of the Rothmans Africa portfolio. Reported $3m EBITDA in first year’s trading.
- Initiated and produced business-plan for the takeover of Tabarwanda and setting up of Rothmans’ first ever operation in Rwanda. Assisted with feasibility studies and operational planning for takeover and integration of Tabazaire into Rothmans Zaire.
- Assisted with setting up Rothmans Nigeria Ltd, Rothmans’ first operation in that country for over 20 years.
- Organised and ran the first comprehensive aerial survey of the wildlife resources of the Marromeu Complex in the Zambesi delta for Lonrho Mozambique since Mozambique’s independence. Area subsequently recommended for World Heritage Site status.
Francis Xavier Aurol
Francis has some 35 years of experience in shipping and port development and management. He started his career managing the Pasir Panjang terminal for the Port of Singapore for 10 years, followed by other assignments in SE Asia and the Middle East.
He then had 10 years with the Hai Sun Hup shipping group, managing their operations across SE Asia, gaining valuable insight into the shipping industry from a different perspective.
In the last 10 years, Francis has been involved in all aspects of port design, construction development and management on many different ports across SE Asia, India and the Middle East. This included the development and/or management of such ports as Port Klang in Malaysia, Jubail in Saudi Arabia, and Mundra in India. He has had lead roles in feasibility studies for numerous other port projects and more recently has undertaken a study of potential container terminals in East Africa.
Bachelor of Social Sciences (University of Singapore 1969)